Best Drawing Tablets for Tattoo Artists: A tablet is a digital display board with a pen/pencil that provides accurate input for tattoo artists, illustrators, and Photoshop amateurs.
Almost any creative task on a tablet that requires precise instructions can significantly benefit from a pen’s tactile feedback.
Your tablet’s size and resolution determine the total active area you draw and how accurately your tablet translates the pen input.
From better battery-powered options to wireless charging capabilities, the stylus itself can significantly impact the tablet experience.
If you want a tablet with more features, you need to check out our best tablet list. Take a look at the list of the best tablets on Amazon.
- We interviewed 23 professional tattoo artists. Surveyed 35 different tablets and conducted 33 tests. It dawned upon an interview of a series of tattoo artists, researched tablets.
XP-PEN Artist15.6 Pro and Wacom One are the most adapted tablet for tattoo artists. Both can run on Windows and macOS using the most famous art programs. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 offers the most precise control of any tablet. Cintiq pens and tablet buttons are the most customizable, thanks to the excellent software.
Top 9 Best Drawing Tablets for Tattoo Artists in July 2021 [Recommended]
Table of Contents
- Top 9 Best Drawing Tablets for Tattoo Artists in July 2021 [Recommended]
- 1. Best performative tablet: XP-PEN Artist 22R Pro
- 2. Best functional drawing tablet: Wacom One
- 3. Best value for money: Huion KAMVAS Pro 16
- 4. Best all-rounder tablet: Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 –
- 5. Best budget-friendly tablet: Simbans PicassoTab
- 6. Best functional tablet: Wacom Intuos Pro
- 7. Best fastest tablet: GAOMON PD1561
- 8. Best lightweight and affordable: Huion HS610
- 9. Best aesthetic tablet: Artisul D13S
- 10. Best for beginners: XP-PEN Deco 03
- 11. Cheap drawing tablet: Huion 420 OSU
- FAQ’s on Best Drawing Tablets for Tattoo Artists
- Best Drawing Tablets for Tattoo Artists in 2021 – Reviews
1. Best performative tablet: XP-PEN Artist 22R Pro
- The Artist 22R Pro is the first graphics display that supports a Type-C to Type-C connection, letting you directly connect your iMac/Mac Book Pro and...
- By applying the latest innovation and technology, the XP-Pen Artist 22R Pro lets you draw with virtually no parallax and a more precise cursor...
- Two easy-to-control red dial wheels and 20 customizable shortcut keys that are conveniently placed on both sides, making it equally accessible for...
- The PA2 battery-free Stylus supports up to 60 degrees of tilt function and provides superior line performance to create the finest sketches and lines....
Drawing tablets were initially large touchpads with a stylus and pressure detection. Nowadays, the actual performance options are awe-inspiring.
The XP-Pen Artist 22R offers a great combination of many features. The 1920 x 1080 Full HD IPS display touch screen comes with 88% NTSC color gamut accuracy.
We promise it will reproduce your work as accurately as possible. Its 21.5-inch size makes you not need a second screen when working.
Drawing on a device that sees lines and colors makes you feel like you’re creating artwork in the real world.
When working with the Artist 22R, the pen provides 8192 pressure sensitivity levels. You get a feel like hand-sketched in your work.
The pen requires charging of its own after being used for a while. Artist 22R provides a high-level touch bar.
This can be programmed on your computer to complete specific commands.
XP-Pen recommends mapping as a zoom-in / out feature. It actually has 20 assignable functions. You can use shortcut keys.
This simplifies blueprints and even full-featured control panels for design programs. This tablet is compatible with Windows 10/8/7, Mac OS X 10.10, and above.
It can run software like Photoshop, Illustrator, SAI, CDR, GIMP, Krita, Medibung, Fire Alpaca, Blender 3D, and more.
2. Best functional drawing tablet: Wacom One
- See your imagination come to life in full color on a 13.3” display with a natural surface friction that makes for intuitive drawing on screen. When...
- Feels like a real pen – No need for batteries, the pen feels and looks right. Plus, this one pen uses software to act as multiple pens and brushes...
- Digital freedom – Sketch or paint directly on screen, draw diagrams, annotate documents, enhance photos and videos, plus you can delete, edit and...
- Includes creative software: Purchase and register your Wacom One and receive Bamboo Paper Pro, Clip Studio Paint Pro (3-month license), Adobe...
Wacom One is a great drawing tablet that has many incredible features for a tattoo artist that makes it so easy and flexible to use with the nice user-friendly interface to draw out anything on the android-loaded tablet without the need of attaching it to any devices.
- The tablet can be used to draw live with the preinstalled ultra-high-definition stylus pen. The on-screen feature allowed the amazing drawing tablet to work efficiently and effectively through the use of a battery.
Now to the technological aspect of the Wacom One tablet and its details in full;
The Technical Features:
- It is the best-recommended drawing tablet for a tattoo artist because it can be used for tattoo drawing without stress.
The core functionality of the drawing tablet for swift and professional use is loaded with a powerful three wonderful tools, and on the purchase of the tablet, you will get free unlimited access to the Adobe premiere Rush that is mainly used for color and quality graphics and tattoo design.
Also, with the Bamboo paper notebook application, you will get access to journalizing and taking notes with the clip studio paint pro, and at the end, you will be marveled to see your imagination turning into reality with drawing and sketching.
It has a 13.3 display screen size and 1920 × 1080 pixels with natural friction surface to produce a creative artistic tattoo drawing in full color. You would experience the quality feeling of drawing on digital paper, like real hard paper without lagging with a real pen and without the use of batteries.
The multitasking pen’s application is incredible and it can be used as multiple pens and brushes with varieties of colors with great accuracy.
Another vital thing that you can do on the app is to sketch, annotate documents in a different format, draw diagrams, paint, tattoo design, and enhance rich content (photos and videos) on the screen that can be easily manipulated, that is to create, edit, delete, and share your artistic designs with ease.
- It can be connected to PC, Mac, Android tablets, and smartphones to allow you to publish or share your artistic designs to any platform that you want them to be uploaded.
The digital pens from other brands can be used to improvise and enhance creativity.
Why has the Wacom One been such a popular drawing tablet option among tattoo artists?
Its adaptability and smooth stylus make it an ideal drawing tablet, as well as one of the best on-screen tablets for tattoo artists to use as a standard device.
3. Best value for money: Huion KAMVAS Pro 16
- Outstanding Visuals: The Huion Kamvas Pro 16 features a stunning 15.6-inch full-laminated screen with Full HD resolution, letting you enjoy immersive...
- Brilliant Color: See your creations in vibrant and true-to-life colors on this screen with 120% sRGB (92% AdobeRGB) wide color gamut (16.7 millions 8...
- Advanced Pen performance: The battery-free pen PW507 looks and feels like a regular pencil, offering you responsive and accurate pen performance with...
- Optimized Workflow: A set of 6 customized express keys and touch bar helps get easy access to your favorite shortcuts of keyboards or mouse to achieve...
Huion’s KAMVAS Pro 16 is the cheapest graphics tablet with a screen, perfect for small budgets.
This graphics tablet’s price is lower than the other tablet models on the list. You can’t compromise because you lose a few inches of screen space.
This is a compact tablet with professional features. The 15.6-inch Full HD display is 16.7 million colors compatible with Cintiq Pro 24.
Enjoy better performance and faster response times with industry-leading reporting rates. The stylus is comparable to XP-PEN and GAMMON products.
This is mostly in terms of pressure sensitivity. It can also be tilted so that you can get a satisfying feeling from the actual device.
Its 1 touch Bar and 6 pressure keys help adjust the canvas, brush, and page up and down. You can set the 6 pressure keys for various functionalities.
The 15.6inch IPS screen helps save time and increase productivity. The Kamvas Pro16 weighs about 1.2 kg and is 11.5 mm thick, a little thicker than a mobile phone.
Unlike most other tablets, Kamvas Pro16 doesn’t have many buttons, giving it space for large screen sizes.
4. Best all-rounder tablet: Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 –
- Wacom's most natural and advanced pen performance with 8,192 levels of pressure sensitivity, eraser and virtually lag free tracking
- 4K resolution (3840 x 2160 pixels) is packed into a 24 LCD display with superb color accuracy (99 percentage of Adobe RGB)
- The Express Key Remote puts 17 programmable buttons within easy reach; The on screen keypad and the radial menus offer further 1 touch shortcuts
- The etched glass screen reduces glare and reflections while providing a distinct, tactile experience as you draw, mimicking the feel of a pen on paper
The Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 is the ultimate drawing tablet for professional tattoo artists and designers. The purpose of this tablet is to provide artists with an authentic digital canvas.
It’s an independent touchscreen with the same precision as Wacom’s non-screen pads. Still, its colors offer instant feedback to the eyes.
The screen’s diagonal size is 23.6 inches, and 4K pixels are 3840 x 2160 pixels. The glass placed at the top of the screen is made to shine a little.
It has a coating that reduces glare, making it easier for the eyes to use while providing a different tactile experience.
You can compare it to mimicking a pencil’s feel on paper. Cintiq can render 16.7 million different colors, thus achieving 99% accuracy.
How amazing is that?
This tablet is a very standard one to meet your design needs and can be applied to all art projects.
The Express remote control places 17 programmable buttons within easy reach. One-key shortcuts are also available on the on-screen keyboard and radial menu.
The other side of Wacom’s Cintiq is the physical experience of drawing on a tablet. Wacom is known for its accuracy and functionality.
A lot of effort has been put into integrating this tablet into a screen-based tablet. The Pro Pen 2 has about 8192 levels of pressure sensitivity (suitable for drawing).
Its tilt recognition can go up to 60 degrees. All this put together gives you the best performance-oriented tablet.
5. Best budget-friendly tablet: Simbans PicassoTab
- DRAW or TAKE NOTES: The most affordable tablet that comes with a pen and a pre-installed Autodesk Sketchbook app for those who want to draw pictures...
- 4 FREE BONUS ITEMS inside the box: a high-quality tablet case, Drawing Glove, universal power adaptor and pre-installed screen protector; a total...
- CLEAR SCREEN, LARGE DISK and a SUPERIOR CPU: The High power MediaTek Quad-core processor boosts the multitasking abilities of the tablet. The IPS HD...
- CONNECTIVITY: Connect your tablet to your home WIFI network and you can take this tablet wherever you are; your entertainment always goes with you....
Simbans Picasso Tab is the cheapest option on the screened list. These tablets are suitable for beginners.
The 1,280 x 800 widescreen display is quite clear. This captivates painting and design enthusiasts.
The IPS panel provides a tremendous wide-angle viewing angle for your work. This tablet is suitable for both taking notes and drawing.
It comes with Autodesk preinstalled. If playing is your favorite hobby, then 32GB of storage is another useful feature.
Picasotab has several other features. It comes with a pre-installed screen protector and a tablet case.
This option is cost-effective. The connection includes Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and GPS, making this tablet a versatile tablet.
Still, the small surface and display disappoint serious artists. Conclusion: If you are a professional, try to use upper tablets.
6. Best functional tablet: Wacom Intuos Pro
- Wacom’s trusted professional Pro Pen 2 technology in a precision graphics tablet, optimized for hours of image editing, illustration or design work
- Slim tablet design in our most popular size (13.2” x 8.5”) with an active area of (8.7” x 5.8”) for anyone with a serious creative passion.No...
- The Pro Pen 2 features 8,192 levels of pressure sensitivity, tilt-response and virtually lag-free tracking for ultimate precision and control – and...
- Speed your workflow with the multi-touch surface, programmable express keys, radial menus and pen side-switches; Customize your experience with pro...
Wacom has always been a leader in graphics tablet games.
Its Intuos Pro is arguably the flagship product line of graphics peripherals.
Wacom calls this version the “medium” size, similar to the Goldilocks series.
The device is 8.7 inches large with 5.8 inches of the effective surface.
Setting it up on a desk isn’t a hassle. It still provides a lot of workspaces.
It comes with eight dedicated feature buttons that you can assign to a running program. Programs can be fully navigatable using the assignable touch wheel.
This allows even the hand recognition switch to respond. This switch provides gesture recognition to the tablet.
This is for gestures such as trackpads. Of course, the most prominent is the Wacom Pro Pen 2.
This active pen offers 8192 levels of pressure sensitivity for excellent drawing accuracy.
Wacom is four times faster than the first-generation propene. Thus providing tilt support for more natural and blurry lines.
In addition to the wired connection, Bluetooth is also included. The tablet runs on the latest operating system and the latest design software.
It’s the cheapest tablet under $400 at the time of this writing. It remains affordable for creative professionals.
7. Best fastest tablet: GAOMON PD1561
- 【FOR ONLINE EDUCATION & MEETING】You can use GAOMON PD1561 pen monitor for online education and remote meeting. It works with most online meeting...
- 【10 SHORTCUT KEYS & 2 CUSTOMIZABLE PEN BUTTONS】-- There are 10 shortcut keys on the left side of PD1561 and 2 pen buttons available to be...
- 【IPS HD DISPLAY & FILM】 -1920*1080 HD IPS FULL Screen ensures high quality and accuracy of color, lines and images. Viewing Angle: 178°Screen...
- 【LEFT HAND SUPPORT】-If using Windows OS, Computer Setting: Press “windows”+”p” on keyboard>set as extended mode>enter display setting>set...
Gaomen PD1561 is one of the foreign brands which is relatively known. You might even think that Wacom Cintiq is worth the money.
Thanks to its large, bright 15.6-inch display with 1920 x 1080 resolution. Its functionality is comparable to Wacom’s.
It is believed to be the first choice for XP-Pen. The reason being it lacks a touch wheel or attractive multi-touch options.
This can be explained by the active pen’s 72% color gamut accuracy and 8192 horizontal pressure.
Another outstanding feature is its built-in 10 assignable function keys.
Its high price can be justified by its IPS screen and other function keys. Still, the strangely detailed shape consumes a lot of your space.
There is no doubt that this is a wonderful device. It has; – wireless charging options -hours of battery life, – and impressive pen specs.
Suitable for portable or desktop computers running Windows 7/8 / 8.1 or later, Mac OS 10.12 / 13/14 or later.
It is Compatible with most paint programs such as Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator. Clip Studio, Lightroom, Sketchbook Pro, and Manga Studio.
Corel painter, FireAlpaca, OpenCanvas, Paint Tool Sai2, Krita,
8. Best lightweight and affordable: Huion HS610
- OS Android 6.0 Supported - Not Only compatible with Windows or Mac OS, it also supports Android devices; You can easily connect your phone to the...
- Touch Ring - The newly-design Touch Ring helps you zoom in or out for your canvas, adjust your brush and page scrolling; Use the 12 Press Keys to...
- Tilt Function - HS610 supports ±60 degrees brush tilt; Provide you better pressure detection and accurate cursor positioning with different angles,...
- Battery-free Stylus - Say goodbye to the pen charging cable; It provides a more accurate and natural drawing experience.
Low-cost professional features include Huion’s HS610: Pro by Nature. This tablet has a paper-like surface design.
It has completely revolutionized traditional art media into new digital creativity. Eight nibs have been added to the rechargeable pen, allowing you to work for long periods.
The pressure level is comparable to the more expensive models on the list. You can customize all 16 activity units and 8 hotkeys.
Thus giving products that would typically only come with a range of tablets. Like the XP-PEN Deco 03, it is an ultra-sensitive tablet.
The pen button is easy to grip, so you need to learn how to operate it properly. It’s worth noting that its price makes it quite affordable too.
It comes with a slight delay when using some third-party programs.
9. Best aesthetic tablet: Artisul D13S
- 8192 Levels Pen Pressure: Accurately recognize the strength of each pressing on the screen thus to control the lines flexibly.The brush strokes are...
- More efficient and convenient with 8 shortcut keys,which are all customizable. You can set custom functions such as eraser,brush,undo,shift,zoom in...
- 1920X1080 full HD display: The color reproducibility is higher, providing more vivid colors. Wide range of applications：Animation design,...
- Compact and easy to carry around: 13.3 Inches screen,1.1KG in weight. Artisul D13S graphics drawing monitor is designed for On-the-Go. Powered by USB...
This Artisul D13S tablet is the perfect blend between professional features and price. The battery-free stylus has excellent pressure levels as well as higher price points.
It is designed to adapt to the feel of a pen on paper. Artisul promotes pencils and is an ideal tool for creating detailed brush strokes.
It is perfect for digital drawing and photo retouching in other applications. The Full HD display contains 16.7 million colors and 75% of the Adobe RGB color gamut.
This makes it easy to create the colors and tones you desire. It comes with drawing gloves. These ensure that your hands slide smoothly over the surface of the screen.
As such, it is simplifying the entire drawing process. The 6 Fast Access and Quick Dial keys improve work efficiency.
They can be customized and are compatible with your work style. The two side buttons on the pen make the creative process even more convenient.
Since it can be connected via USB, it is a semi-portable device that you can use to go with neat and simple settings.
Unfortunately, you need to link it to your computer whenever the tablet is being used.
10. Best for beginners: XP-PEN Deco 03
- 【Large working area & ultra-thin body】The drawing tablet has a working area of 10 x 5.62 inches, allowing you to have more space to enjoy creation...
- 【Support wired and wireless connection methods】Deco 03 digital tablets has wired and wireless USB functions. Using advanced ISM 2.4G technology,...
- 【Multifunctional red dial & Customizable shortcut keys】Graphics tablets uses an innovative side scroll wheel design, with six custom shortcut...
- 【8192 Level Pressure Sensitive Pen】The new P05 Passive Pressure Sensitive Pen has 8192 pressure sensitivity, which can more accurately reflect the...
The XP-PEN Deco 03 is an excellent tablet that is going for an affordable price. The design of this tablet is quite impressive and looks convincing on the desktop.
With a thickness of only 10mm, it’s easy to carry, discreet and you can sit under your hands as if you were sitting there.
For greater portability, it can be used wirelessly or via USB so that you can use it in the studio or on the go.
Passive pens have excellent sensitivity to cheap tablets and are comfortable to use. It’s also useful for left-handed and right-handed users, with integrated buttons that give you accurate control over your work.
XP-PEN’s iconic red dial looks beautiful and makes your tablet easy to operate. The main problem with this tablet is that it is susceptible to the pen’s presence.
It can record strokes on the screen with the pen just hovering nearby, but it’s easy to amend this when used regularly.
If your budget hasn’t increased to 03, XP-PEN’s Deco 01 is another suitable choice.
11. Cheap drawing tablet: Huion 420 OSU
- Huion H420 is an affordable graphics tablet with responsive digital pen, perfect for kids and beginning artists to draw,sketch,edit photos. It lets...
- It also can be used for playing OSU game. No need to install driver. Just plug and play!H420 digital drawing tablet is only 7mm in thickness and 165g...
- H420 drawing pad can replace the computer mouse and keyboard to enhance your work flow. You can use it handwritten edit,diagram,annotate on whiteboard...
- There are 3 customizable express keys on the H420 tablet and 2 on the digital pen. You can set up the press keys to your favorite shortcuts in Huion...
Huion’s small but well-made 420OSU for enthusiasts who want to take the first digital art step.
They are designed for use anytime, anywhere. This portable graphics tablet is the ideal second tablet for professional digital artists.
New artists will love this tablet as well. It’s easy to create, and you can move from traditional art media to digital creativity.
The pen pressure level is not comparable to most drawing tablets on the list. So it may not be the best choice for artists who primarily paint.
The battery life is perfect, and the price is quite moderate, so it’s worth a try.
FAQ’s on Best Drawing Tablets for Tattoo Artists
What tablets do tattoo artists use?
The medium-sized Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 Professional is one of the most popular choices among creative styling and tablet creative professionals, but of course one of the most feature-rich options it offers. The tablet’s medium-sized screen provides ample space for tattoo artists to easily design, draw, fill, retouch, and do other edits. Combining Wacom’s best pressure-sensitive pen features with intuitive multi-touch gestures, tattoo artists can digitally create and express themselves for highly professional results.
What is the best Wacom tablet for drawing?
Wacom is one of the most popular brands of graphic tablets, and for a good reason. While recommended products such as the Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 may be expensive, the Pro Pen 2 offers an excellent 15.6-inch touchscreen, 4K resolution, and 8912 pressure levels. As a cheaper option, we recommend Wacom Cintiq 16. It doesn’t destroy your money, its size is easy to carry, and it has reliable build quality.
Which drawing tablet is best for beginners?
For beginners, I like the Huion KAMVAS Pro16 is ideal. It comes with many accessories. It can be used as a standalone tablet. It has an active stylus and comes pre-installed with Autodesk Sketchbook and Artflow. Ansel LCD writing board is recommended for children. It’s 10 inches in size, acts like an Eat-A-Sketch with a black LCD screen, and is brand compatible. It makes the pencil feel like a stress-resistant market and makes it easy to catch the eye of children.
What is the best drawing tablet for animation?
I like XP-PEN Artist22R Pro (animator, illustrator for most users). With a 21.5-inch screen, programmable hotkeys, and a pen with 8192 pressure sensitivity levels, you can give it a hand-drawn feel. Suitable for Windows 7, 8, 10, and versions before Mac OS X or 10.8
What to look for on the drafting board?
Tablet type: Drawing on a tablet is more expensive but more intuitive because you can draw straight to the screen using a stylus. Graphic tablets usually provide faster workflows because they support higher processing power. It also does not require frequent charging and is generally durable. Pen pressure sensitivity: Pen pressure sensitivity determines how accurate the drawn line is. A standard tablet computer can provide 2048 levels of pressure sensitivity. This should be more than enough for most creatives. Budget: Prices of tablets range from $30 to $1,000. Price differences are mainly related to the screen. Either it is a better resolution or pressure sensitivity.
Best Drawing Tablets for Tattoo Artists in 2021 – Reviews
We are at the final step for best drawing tablets for tattoo artists.
So after a very deep thesis, we have seen that Wacom’s drawing tablets dominate the tablet world, and the Wacom Clintiq Pro 24 is unmatched. The display is perfect, traditional, and hardcore. Digital artists highly regard tilted stylus. Next is our Favourite Wacom One.
If you don’t have the budget and can live without a monitor, Huion KAMVAS Pro 16 wireless media meets all your digital art needs.
We recommend the Wacom Intuos Pro. It has professional features. It is relatively cheaper for those on a tight budget or unfamiliar with digital art.